West Midlands Rail Programme
Building the future railways.
The West Midlands Rail Programme (WMRP) will transform the region’s rail network. We’re investing in new stations and network improvements. This will improve the railways in the West Midlands for everyone.
The programme will encourage economic growth in the region. It will create jobs and support wider regeneration projects. It will also:
- reduce congestion on the roads
- improve the passenger experience
- connect isolated communities to the railway
- reduce journey times
We are leading this programme with Transport for West Midlands (TfWM). We are working with:
- Network Rail, which owns the infrastructure
- West Midlands Trains, the train operator
- SLC-AECOM Joint Venture
We’re currently investing £200 million in projects to improve rail in the West Midlands. The WMRP will make it easier for people use trains to access:
The programme will give rail passengers a better experience. Our station improvements will also:
- improve public spaces
- encourage more people to use the train instead of driving
- make the network easier to use for everyone
We’re working to identify other areas for investment. This is part of our Rail Investment Strategy. We are working with partners and other stakeholders across the region to do this.